A nonimmigrant visa is used by tourists, business people, students, or specialty workers who wish to stay for a particular period of time in the United States to accomplish specific purposes. A citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas fall under the category of nonimmigrant visas and is ideal for people who wish to visited the United States temporarily for tourism, pleasure, business (visa category B-1) or visiting (visa category B-2), or a combination of two purposes (B-1/B- 2).
To visit US you require a visa. Read this blog and get in touch with Arooha to begin the process of applying for a US visa from India.
Type of Visa
Suitable for all entrepreneurs, business people and investors visiting US for trade,investment or Business reasons
This category is suitable for tourists visiting US
This category is suitable for individuals visiting their spouse, family members, relatives or friends residing in US
Supporting Documents To Apply For A US Visa
For a successful US visa application process from India, the US Embassy requires the applicant to hand over the following supporting documents along with the visa application form.
- Current proof of income, tax payments, property or business ownership, or assets.
- Your travel itinerary and/or other explanation about your planned trip.
- A letter from your employer mentioning your designation, salary package, duration of employment, approved vacation period and the purpose of business travel of your US trip, if any.
- Criminal/court records pertaining to any arrest or conviction anywhere, even if you completed your sentence or were later pardoned.
Depending on your reason of travel attach the documents mentioned in the category suitable for you.
latest school results, transcripts and degrees/diplomas.
evidence of financial support such as monthly bank statements, fixed deposit slips, or other evidence.
Letter of employment from employer and pay slips of 3 months.
Business visitors and company directors
evidence of your position in the company and remuneration.
Visiting a relative
photocopies of documents proofing your relative’s residential status (e.g. Green Card, naturalization certificate, valid visa, etc.).
Previous visitors to the United States
If you were previously in the United States, any documents proving your immigration or visa status.
US Visa price
Two criteria that cause price fluctuations of your US visa are the applicant’s age and the visa type they are applying for.
The visa fee has to be paid to get a US visa and will not be refunded at any cost even if the visa gets rejected. Additionally, there is INR.2500/- as service charge for assistance throughout the visa process.
US Visa processing
What is the usual procedure when applying for a US visa?
The list of documents mentioned above have to be submitted to the Arooha visa consultant incharge of your US visa. The below mentioned procedures will be followed upon submission of supporting documents.
- Pay the US visa fee and the visa consultation fee, both of which are compulsory.
- Your documents will be checked by the visa consultant. You can also ask any questions you have and discuss about the most suitable visa type for you.
- The US visa application form will be filled, signed by you and all documents will be rechecked.
- You will receive an appointment date to submit the visa application and the supporting documents to the US Embassy. You will also go through biometrics.
- The visa issue phase begins and will also anywhere between 10 to 15 working days.
- You will receive a notification when your visa is ready for collection.
- Collect your passport with the stamped US visa.
- In case of rejection & subsequent reapplication the above mentioned charges has to be repeated.
After all documents are handed over to the embassy, how long will it take for the US visa to be issued?
The processing duration may fluctuate between 10 to 15 working days. In case of heavy rush processing time may be further delayed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How soon should I apply for my appointment?
Most applications are processed and issued in a few working days. Some applications need to go through administrative processing. We cannot predict in advance which applications will require administrative processing, nor do we know the duration of these processes. We advise you to apply for your visa at least 6 to 8 weeksin advance from your planned travel date.
How long does my passport have to be valid in order to apply for a US visa?
To be able to travel to the United States your passport should have a validity period of at least 6 months counted from your date of scheduled return unless you are exempted by country-specific agreements.
My passport is damaged or expiring soon, but I want to apply for a US visa. What should I do?
Please obtain a new passport before your interview if:
- Your passport is scheduled to expire in less than 6 months from your date of scheduled return from United States.
- The film on the biographic data pages of your passport (i.e., page with your photo and back page with your parents’ information) is peeling, or
- Your passport is damaged in any way, torn, writing unclear or has been washed.
My passport has expired, but the US visa in it is still valid. Do I need to apply for a new visa?
No. If your visa is valid and unmarked or undamaged, you can travel with your two passports together (old and new), if the purpose of your travel matches your current nonimmigrant visa. Both passport’s should
I have accidentally damaged my US visa. Do I need to reapply?
If your visa has been damaged, you will need to reapply for a new visa. If your visa was issued recently, you may not need to have a new interview. More information is available in the Renew My Visa section of our website.
Is hotel booking and insurance mandatory for getting a US visa?
Yes, both are compulsory. Hotel booking is an important criteria for your visa to go through processing. Insurance is important for the applicant’s safety to cover in case of sudden injuries or natural disasters while in US.
Can the visa fee be refunded if the visa gets rejected?
No, the visa fee is not refundable.
Do minors need to be accompanied by parents while travelling to US?
Yes, minors (individuals below 14 years) have to be accompanied by a parents or guardian unless both parents have issued an NOC letter stating their approval of the child’s travel without either of them. The NOC has to be attached with the other supporting documents along with copies of both parents’ passports and submitted.