What makes the Schengen visa a worthy tourist visa is the ability to transit at or stay in any of the Schengen countries. Yes, by obtaining a Schengen visa you can visit any of the 26 Schengen Member States. No matter which Schengen country you visit, you are allowed a stay of 90 days within a 180 day period. Indian passport holders can obtain a Schengen Visa by submitting the application at the Embassy of any of the 26 Member States.
The Schengen territory constitutes of 26 Member countries, 22 of which are members of the European Union as well.
India is one of the most prominent tourist markets for Schengen with over 10 million Indians traveling to Schengen every year.
Type of Visa
Suitable for all entrepreneurs, business people and investors visiting Schengen countries for trade, investment or Business reasons
This category is suitable for tourists visiting Schengen countries and for individuals visiting their spouse, family members, relatives or friends residing in Schengen countries
Supporting documents to apply for a Schengen Country Visa
There are a set of required supporting documents for a successful visa application from India. Keep reading to find out.
- Fill the Schengen visa application form fully. You can download it, print and fill it or fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard- copy. Make sure to sign the application form at the end.
- Two passport-size photos in light background. The photos should not be older than 3 months and must have the applicant’s whole face clearly visible.
- Your passport needs to have 2 blank pages and should be valid for at least 3 months from scheduled return date.Also attach copies of your previous visas.
- Confirmed Travel Insurance with at least €30,000 coverage within all Schengen states.
- A cover letter explaining purpose of visit.
- Trip itinerary Flight itinerary reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the specified state/states. You can read everything about flight itinerary for visa application here.
- Proof of hotel reservation during the planned stay. Find out more about Hotel booking for visa application here.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay.
If you are employed:
Bank statement of 6 months or more (online bank statements are rejected)
leave approval from employer
Certificate of income tax deducted from salary or Income Tax Return (ITR) form
A copy of your business license in India
Company bank statement of the last 6 months
Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
Proof of enrollment
No-objection certificate from school or university
Pension statement of the last 6 months
Proof of regular income obtained from property of the last 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied by the rest of the mandatory documents, then handed personally at the correct Embassy/Consulate or its representatives in India.
Schengen Visa price
Two criteria that cause price fluctuations of your Schengen state visa are the applicant’s age and the visa type they are applying for.
The visa fee has to be paid to get a Schengen visa and will not be refunded at any cost even if the visa gets rejected. Additionally, there is INR.2500/- as service charge for assistance throughout the visa process.
Schengen Visa processing
What is the usual procedure when applying for a Schengen visa?
The above mentioned supporting documents have to be submitted to the Arooha visa consultant who is assisting you with the Schengen visa. The below mentioned procedures will be followed upon submission of supporting documents.
- Pay the Schengen country visa fee and the visa consultation fee, both of which are compulsory.
- Your documents will be checked by the visa consultant. You can also ask any questions you have and discuss about the most suitable visa type for you.
- The Schengen visa application form will be filled, signed by you and all documents will be rechecked.
- You will receive an appointment date to submit the visa application and the supporting documents to the Schengen Embassy. You will also go through biometrics.
- The visa issue phase begins and will also anywhere between 10 to 15 working days.
- You will receive a notification when your visa is ready for collection.
- Collect your passport with the stamped Schengen visa.
- In case of rejection & subsequent reapplication the above mentioned charges has to be repeated.
After all documents are handed over to the embassy, how long will it take for the Schengen visa to be issued?
The processing duration may fluctuate between 10 to 15 working days. In case of heavy rush, processing time may be further delayed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How soon should I apply for my appointment?
Most visa applications are processed and issued in a matter of few working days. However, certain applications might get delayed because of administrative processing.We cannot predict in advance which applications will require administrative processing,nor do we know how long it will take. It’s best to apply for your Schengen visa at least 4 to 6 weeks before your scheduled visiting date.
How long does my passport have to be valid in order to apply for a Schengen visa?
You must possess a passport valid for travel to the Schengen country with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the Schengen country (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).
My passport is damaged or expiring soon, but I want to apply for a Schengen visa.What should I do?
Please obtain a new passport before your interview If:
- Your passport has a validity period less than 6 months counting from your scheduled date of return.
- The film on the biographic data pages ( page with your photos and personal details and back page with parent’s details) of your passport is peeling.
- Your passport is torn, damaged, has been washed or the writing is not clear.
My passport has expired, but the Schengen visa in it is still valid. Do I need to apply for a new visa?
No. If your visa is valid and unmarked or undamaged, you can travel with your two passports together (old and new), if the purpose of your travel matches your current nonimmigrant visa. Both passport’s should
What if the Schengen country you intend to visit has no Embassy/Consulate in India?
If the Embassy or Consulate in India is not issuing visas, submit your Schengen visa application to the consulate of the Schengen member state representing this specific country for the visa. Applications can be submitted to:
- Schengen visa application for Greece from Goa must be submitted to the Portuguese Consulate General in Goa, India.
- Submit the Schengen visa application for Slovakia to the Hungarian General Consulate in Mumbai, India.
- Schengen visa application for Slovenia from Goa must be submitted at the Portugal General Consulate in Goa, India.
- Schengen visa application for Iceland must be submitted at the Danish Embassy in New Delhi, India.
- Schengen visa application must be submitted at the Embassy of Switzerland in New Delhi, India
Is hotel booking and insurance mandatory for getting a Schengen visa?
Yes, both are compulsory. Hotel booking is an important criteria for your visa to go through processing. Insurance is important for the applicant’s safety to cover in case of sudden injuries or natural disasters while in Schengen country.
Can the visa fee be refunded if the visa gets rejected?
No, the visa fee is not refundable.
Do minors need to be accompanied by parents while travelling to Schengen country?
Yes, minors (individuals below 14 years) have to be accompanied by a parents or guardian unless both parents have issued an NOC letter stating their approval of the child’s travel without either of them. This NOC and copy of both parent’s passport’s has to be submitted along with other supporting documents.